Sunday, January 6, 2008

Building Capacity Through Spiritual Practice

It's been my experience that one of the gating factors for how many clients I have is how many I am capable of seeing: time-wise, energetically, emotionally, physically. My capacity is reflected in my results. If I am energetically drained, I get cancellations, and my phone doesn't ring. When I am filled and replenished, my people all show, and the phone rings.

I have been taught, and experienced more and more, that a way to increase my capacity to see clients is through spiritual practice. While there are many, let me focus on just two for the moment.

Opening to Wisdom - remember that Wisdom comes from Spirit. Open to a greater wisdom than your mind. That you don't need to know everything, and in fact cannot know everything. But in being open to Spirit, things will come out of your mouth that you could not have planned or known. This will usually only come out if you trust it, though. I find more and more that I follow the intuitive flow, and Wisdom comes with greater and greater ease. I remember the opposite - planning sessions, planning interventions & homeworks, self-censoring, thinking a lot in session.

Releasing Clients to Spirit - while we all have to do our due diligence when a client is in crisis, I know sometimes I hold on to responsibility once a client has left the session. I think about them, worry about them, wish I could do more. That can drain me. When I notice this (and I would say this would be good to do every day) I say a prayer recognizing the infinite Love of Spirit, and then releasing my clients into that Love. Knowing that they are held by something bigger than me allows me to let go, and replenish myself. I have my own life to live after all :-)

That's it for this Sunday. Namaste! Your Grateful Guy

1 comment:

Rachel Whalley said...

Hells yeah!
As an 8 on the enneagram, I know ALL about the holding. Luckily, I don't do it very much with clients, but I do with my friends and family. Holding has started to show up in my body (extra fat, strained joints and muscles, etc.)

Thanks for reminding us that Spirit is sooo much more capable of holding us all than *I* am. :)