Monday, January 14, 2008

Are New Clients Welcome? Is There Space For Them?

One of the most clear esoteric lessons I've learned in my own private practice is that my results can be affected by own energy. If I am tired, feel overwhelmed, am getting behind, or am burnt out, my phone stops ringing, and cancellations start coming in.

Conversely, one of the best things you can do on an energetic level is to open up space for new clients, by making sure they are welcome. How do you do this? I've found different ways over the years:

- investing in my health (self-care: massage, sleep, exercise, etc.)
- adding new education; taking a continuing ed class
- cleaning my office, desk and email
- filing back paperwork; getting caught up on all billing
- figuring out where else my energy is going (family, other worries)
- getting supervision, or my own therapy
- connecting to Spirit (meditating, prayer, etc)
- taking days off; going on a retreat
- outsourcing & streamlining your business

Here's the part that seemed spooky at first - you don't need to tell anyone you are doing this to see results. I remember the first continuing ed class I took after I opened my practice. It was a David Burns workshop on CBT for Anxiety (he's a really smart and sweet guy). During the 2-day class I received three potential clients calls. I hadn't had more than one call in any given week before that.

Don't take my word for this. Try it. I help people all the time with their websites and their Internet marketing, but if they aren't open, if there isn't the space and energy to welcome the new clients, the clicks don't turn into calls.

So try it. Post your results. Let me know.

Namaste, Yout Grateful Guy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this reminder. We have the ability to effect change in so many areas of our lives - but so often we forget.

I like to think of the ways I can bring more clients into my practice, but am also really happy when the universe recognizes, usually before I do, that I need a breather and things slow down.

Cynthia
www.cynthiamckennacounseling.com