Saturday, November 24, 2007

One of Many Reasons I Know You Can Make a Living At Psychotherapy: Look at the Mall

So I have long fought the scarcity mentality that seems to be alive in the mental health field. That attitude that we can't make a good living being a therapist, or that it's getting worse, etc. etc. Phooey. That's a crock.

One way I know this is by going to the mall. Have you been to a mall lately? It's amazing how much stuff there is for sale. Stuff that no one really needs. Malls are not about needs, they are about wants and about stuff, and when I see blue jeans that cost more than a session with me, I know there is money out there to be spent. If I can provide value, there is money out there to be made.

The other side of the mall issue for me is this: being consumers - being shallow, stuff-minded, appearance-oriented, instant-gratification people - will at some point wear off for each human. At some point they will realize this is a dead-end that does not make them happy. At some point, they will realize that they want and need help in understanding what it means to be human and how to live a fulfilling life. And therapists will be there to help.

I've got other reasons why therapy is a growth industry, but that's for another day.

Best, A Grateful Man.

1 comment:

Lindsey Plumer, LMFT said...

Peter,
I COMPLETELY agree with this. I also think in general our profession sells our clients short when we think that they do not value becoming a healthy, happy person (through therapy) and would prefer to have "things." Most people I talk to are happy to exchange a few less luxuries for the luxury of being able to grow and heal.