Monday, October 27, 2008

Got Trouble? Praise and Raise....

So I saw that a colleague was having troubles with a client (not in therapy, but about financial issues). The colleague was upset, worried, anxious and perhaps angry. I could not blame her - I would be too, and have had situations like this myself.

It reminded me that all of us therapists have these moments, these people, these problems from time to time. And the anxiety and worry they bring is unfortunate. Isn't there something we could do?

Yes.

There is a spiritual practice to use when you are having trouble with someone - it's called "Praising and Raising". Basically, it's a way to send healing love to the person you are having the trouble with. Usually, the troubling behaviors of others come from their own pain and feelings of separation. We can meet that with our own pain and anger, which usually continues or deepens the problems, or we can raise our state of consciousness of the situation.

It's quite a simple prayer - and is best done as a posture prayer (a prayer with movement). Here's how it goes......

(with hands together in prayer position) I Praise (person's name)

(with hands held upward and open) I Raise (person's name)

(with hands coming folded over your heart) In the name of Love.

Repeat 7 times. Do that for 7 days. I have experienced this working, and heard story after story after story on it.

For a deeper explanation visit this webpage.

I wish you Peace! Best, Your Grateful Guy

1 comment:

Therapy said...

A little praise goes a long way but this was an amazing way of turning negativity into positive energy and staying upbeat.