Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Two Things Remembered on the Raquetball Court

A quickie for you today, two lessons I remembered on the raquetball court today.

One - as my buddy/playing-partner asked "did you lose weight?" I automatically replied "I can't lose weight." I caught it quickly. I can't? Really? Great self-talk there. Thought and belief definitely manifesting into existence around my midline. 

The truth is I have not been losing weight. I haven't. I didn't. And you know what, maybe I won't. Maybe I haven't really tried very hard. But can't????? That's baloney.

If you are self-talking about your private practice this way, STOP! If you say "I can't have 20 clients a week by the end of April" - STOP! It's NOT TRUE!

I mean, maybe you won't have 20 clients then. Perhaps you don't want 20 clients. Heck, maybe you shouldn't have 20 clients then, but I will not sit with you and believe you can't. It's baloney. 

Two - I made some great plays today. I stretched for things I wasn't sure I could get. It reminded me of a lesson I learned playing tennis in college (for the Pace University Setters - yes, Pace Setters, ha ha ha). I learned to train my mind to keep my body moving for a ball, even when I thought it was out of my reach.

By doing this, it was amazing how many shots I got to, and how much more success I had. I definitely got to balls I never would have predicted I could get to. It was also very energizing and esteem-building when I reached them. 

The lesson is you likely underestimate what you are capable of. You can probably go farther than you think. And for most things, even if you don't make it, it won't be fatal (exception including open-ocean swimming, and hiking through snow - though usually not counseling). So keep reaching, keep reaching, keep going.

All the best, Your Grateful Guy


1 comment:

Steve McCready, MFT said...

Peter -

Great post, thanks for sharing these thoughts. The great UCLA basketball coach John Wooden said "Winners and losers are self-determined, but only the winners are willing to admit it." I've been amazed at how much my attitude and belief system really do influence the path my life takes. It isn't that it magically makes good things appear and bad things go away, it just puts my focus someplace more productive.