Sunday, March 30, 2008

Taking Care of Your Favorite Plants

I'm finishing up my three-part gardening series today with a post about taking care of your favorite plants. We've covered seeds, germinating, and being careful in what you plant. Now let's talk about their care and feeding.

By favorite plants, I mean the ones that provide you with fruit or enjoyment or fulfillment or nourishment in some way. In regards to your private practice, the most important one is of course YOU! You need to take good care of this most important asset, with rest, relaxation, rejuvenation, education, and just plain fun!

But let's get back to my original intention of this post - the external plants whose fruit feeds your private practice.

For me, these mainly include my website, web marketing, and referral sources. I've found I need to water, fertilize and sometimes trim these to keep them producing good and plentiful fruit.

In real life, those actions include keeping my website fresh and up-to-date, continuing to find new places on the web to post about my site and practice, and sending regular thank you notes out to people who refer to me.

And a last thought is that you need to harvest the fruit too, to keep it producing more. I have had referrals from time to time (for both my Google biz and counseling biz) that I was too busy to respond to in a timely manner. The fruit rotted, and I assume that referral source probably soured a bit on me. Thus my garden is only as big as I can work it. Interesting stuff.

All the best, Your Grateful Guy

No comments: