Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Affirmations of Scarcity or Abundance in Time, Money & Energy

In my therapy marketing business, I interact with a lot of therapists. It's always interesting to see their responses to my fees - especially when I think of these responses as affirmations.

"I can't afford it."
"I don't have the money for that."

While I understand the impulse here, from a spiritual standpoint this is re-affirming the situation as true. So I'd suggest a change of languaging (and thus a different affirmation) to something more along the lines of:

"I choose not to spend my money on that."
"This isn't important enough to spend money on right now."
"I am saving up for this."

This topic is pertinent for me right now because I am running into these same issues around time and energy. I keep affirming that I don't have time for this, or the energy to do that. Or that I am overwhelmed. And so that truth continues, and reinforces itself.

One last reason to highlight this is that I don't think these are just spiritual lies we are telling when we affirm these scarcities, I believe they are literal lies. An old teacher of mine, Kathleen Carie used to say "Honey, you've got all the time, money and energy for that which is most important to you." I've never found that to be wrong.

Until next time, Your Grateful Guy

1 comment:

Steve McCready, MFT said...

Peter -

I've been thinking a lot lately about the impact of belief on things, and this is a really good example of it. How we focus our attention and energy really is important. It affects the energy we give off and it also affects what we notice as we go through our day.

I know that lately, I've found myself thinking and saying that I don't have time to work on marketing, and it's proving to be true. Oops!