Sunday, March 6, 2011

What to do once you've gotten what you always wanted

Hi, it's been a while. I've been pretty busy. Two thriving businesses, my first new house, a two-year-old baby boy, well it's a lot. And it's all things that I worked for a long time to manifest. So what's the rub?

Well, what the books might not tell you, is that once you reach what you initially defined as success, you may have a new definition. In other words, you might change your mind about what it is you want.

For the longest time I was focused on business. Business, business, business. I was ambitious and kept wanting to figure out how to grow. This continued through the first months of my new son's life, for more than a few reasons. First of all I was the only breadwinner now, and I wanted my wife to be able to stay home and take care of our child. If you are a parent, you also know that for the first months, the baby is not all that interactive. And finally, we were renting the home we were living in then, getting ready to buy our first house, which is something I've wanted for so long.

But ambition has changed. Or rather, what my ambitions are have changed.

A healthy body. A happy marriage. Enjoying that all-too-fast growth of my son. Some time for learning and friends and relaxation. These are things that felt left behind on the road to business success.

I can write this now, because it all came clear to me at the end of 2010 - that I needed to refocus on a new vision – one that integrated business success, but not at the expense of the rest of my life. And that is where this post finds me tonight, taking step after step toward that balance.

Part of finding that balance, and creating or manifesting a new success, means using the tools I used to get here in the first place. But using them towards a different vision.

So I'm starting with the vision. I'm starting with the intention. I'm starting with spirit in mind, remembering that all things are possible, and remembering all the lessons I've learned thus far.

You know, it got easy to stop doing all of my spiritual practices when I achieved the “successes” that I aimed for initially. Not to say I ever lost my connection to God, but the daily affirmations & use of the tools at hand waned as I grew busier and busier in my businesses. "I don't have time," I would rationalize. I'm too busy working.

I look forward to seeing what I will build on top of the foundation that I've created already. It will be different than the old vision, and that's okay. Ralph Waldo Emerson once said "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Way to go, Ralph.

I encourage you to always allow yourself to change your mind. The journey itself may change you, and what you want.

I hope this post finds you well, and please know I wish you and your loved ones all the very best. Namaste, Peter

2 comments:

Christy A. Cole, LCPC said...

I want to start by thanking you! While we've never interacted before this, I found your blog from having read some of your postings on PT when I was starting my private practice back in 2007. So you have helped me a great deal throughout the years! I just wanted to say that I, too, have struggled with these questions under similar circumstances. I have a son who will be turning 2 in a couple of weeks as well as a 7 week-old daughter. While I have attained what I wanted in life, it is interesting to now go through a process of redefining my goals. Thank you so much for your thoughts and for sharing your experiences and please know that it has been helpful!

pe said...

Hi Christy,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm so happy people read this blog and gain from it.

Congrats on Baby #2, BTW, and yes, I bet you can understand what I'm talking about.

My best to you in having your greatest good, in whatever mix and form that takes.

:-) Peter